The Last Chinese Chef by Nicole Mones

Finally, a book for adults. (Mones wrote Lost in Translation which earned Angelina Jolie an Academy Award when it was turned into a movie. I didn't read that book or see the movie, so I can't compare. Sorry.) I liked this book because there was little swearing and no vivid descriptions of sexual activity. That might explain why it is probably below the best seller list's radar. I found this book challenging because of the many references to Chinese words and names. They just wouldn't stick in my head, and I had to keep re-reading parts of the story. Also, there are many, many descriptions of food. . . food I've never heard of and doubt that I would eat. The characters repeat (often) that American Chinese food is not "real" Chinese food. If the descriptions in this book are accurate, that is a completely true statement. The upshot of the book is how food and our human psyche and emotion are entertwined. Well, duh. Any Southerner knows that.

Comments

Popular Posts