Isle of Palms by Dorothea Benton Frank

There are a lot of books written by and about folks from the Carolina coast. Isle of Palms is a treat to those of us from the coast. This book has a lot of detail about life on a barrier island off the coast of South Carolina. It is chock full of sayings and incidents that I can recognize since I grew up on the coast of North Carolina. Plus, and this is a big plus in my opinion, there is almost no R rated material! I don't think the "f" word was used except one time (and it wasn't necessary even then). The plot is thin, but this book is not supposed to be teaching you anything. It's a pleasant peek into the life of a single parent and her efforts to attain independence, both financially and emotionally. It took me a long time to read the book, at least longer than I thought it would. I think it is because my mind kept picking through all the details that Frank included that were not necessarily critical to the plot, but were included for local color. Like I said, lots of details. Thin plot. You could recommend this book to your grandmother and not be embarrassed about what she would read. Good book.

Comments

Popular Posts