Cleopatra by Claudia Schiffer

Fascinating book! I learned a lot of history, and I certainly changed my opinion about Cleopatra. There's a long list of things I never knew: I never realized how sly and politically astute she was. I also didn't understand how long her relationship with Rome (and the men in it) lasted, nor the details surrounding her suicide. I didn't realize she chose suicide over potentially being exploited as a "conquered ruler." I never understood about how devious the Ptolemies were. (My favorite line of the book, I think, was that Cleopatra was about as Egyptian as Elizabeth Taylor was.) Reading about the surrounding countries and leaders, especially Herod, was equally absorbing. You have to read the book slowly unless you know a lot of history because there's quite a bit to process. I was quite impressed with all the documented research. Schiffer is a far greater researcher, documenter, and scholar than I will ever be. I hope she writes another biography to equal this one.

Comments

Popular Posts